Christmas is the season for giving. As it nears, one is not too early enough to prepare special gifts for your friends and loved one. However, Christmas is not the only time you can express how much you value and appreciate some people by giving them gifts. You could do it during birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving or even when is there is no special occasion.
Lanyards make great gift items, especially when you make them yourself. The receiver of these items would surely feel the labor of love you put into making these. Plus, since you know your friends and loved ones so much, you could customize each lanyard according to their personalities and preferences. That would make your gifts extra special.
Doing a lanyard by yourself is easy. Here are the 5 basic steps for making a lanyard:
1. List down the people you are planning to give the lanyards to. Think what kind of lanyard would suit his or her personality. For instance, that health buff relative might enjoy a lanyard with fruits and vegetable pins attached to it. Or the sweet, young teen would appreciate a strap made fromfabric with printed flowers for her wallet. For your grandpa, a dark colored strap for his keys would be perfect.
2. Prepare all the materials that you would need. These are:
- A pair of scissors
- Fabric (it could be cotton, polyester, nylon, satin, or silk)
- Attachment (you could choose from rings, hooks, clips, and breakaway connectors)
- Sewing machine. Even the small one would do. You could actually sew these manually but that would take so much time.
- Glue, decorative pins,and extra add on are optional.
3. Cut the according to the length that you need. For the adults, the average length for the neck is 34 inches. For the wrist strap, the estimate length is 6 inches. Cut also the fabric according to the thinness or thickness that you like. Provide a margin of around 1/8 inch for sewing the edges to keep it neat.
4. Sew both ends of the lanyard together. Make a loop where you would place the ring or hook or whatever attachment that you like. At this point, you are almost done. Check if you need to adjust the length of the lanyard or not. On the attachment part, make sure that you sew it strongly enough so that it would be able to hold big and heavy items, just in case the recipients would use these for such.
5. Lastly, decorate the lanyards either with pins or other home made stuff that you like. You could customize the decorations to suit the personality of the recipient.
That was easy, right, unless, you do not know how to cut and sew. Then this 3-step DIY is the best for you.
Following step one, plan the design of each lanyard according to the personality of the recipient.
Next, prepare the materials. This time, the materials are either used lanyards or plain new ones. There is no need for fabric, attachments and sewing machine too. You would need decorations, however. Skip step 3 and 4 and proceed with step 5.
Decorate accordingly. You could add a twist by writingyour message and placing it on an ID holder. Attach the ID holder with your personal message into your lanyard and that’s it.
These would not only make wonderful tokens of love and appreciation but at the same time, they are practical, economical, durable and unique gifts they would surely treasure. As these lanyards last for decades with proper care, the memories would too.
Lanyards make great gift items, especially when you make them yourself. The receiver of these items would surely feel the labor of love you put into making these.